Nutritious Kids Choice Idli Podi

All purpose Idli Podi
After a long day's work when I come home around 6pm, the hunger kicks in for the kids. The quick dinner that I can fix is Idli or Dosa. What if I don't have the energy to make even the simplest Peanut or Coconut-Dalia chutney. That's when I have the Idli Podi as a reserve. But what about the healthy serving?  I add as much Dhals, Lentils and Nuts from my pantry when I prepare the Podi, so I know that we have sufficient nutrients for the meal.  It takes some time to fry and grind the ingredients but its worth the time spent for the next few weeks. I am adding this recipe based on requests from some of my friends.

Fried Nuts and Sesame seeds
I add walnuts, almonds, cashews, sesame seeds so the taste could be something new that my other friends who prepare Idli Podi may not have tried. I also call it All Purpose Idli Podi because I use it when making Stir Fry Vegetables or for any Vegetarian Dish as a taste enhancer.

Preparation time: 40 min
Serving size: Depends on usage

Ingredients
Fried Dhals and Red Chilli
  • Urad Dhal - 1/2 cup
  • Chana Dhal - 1/2 cup
  • Toor Dhal - 2 tbsp
  • Moong Dhal - 2 tbsp
  • Red Chillies - 8 (can add or reduce the count as per your taste)
  • Peanuts - 1/2 cup
  • Dalia (Roasted Chana Dhal) - 1 cup
  • Almonds - 15 count
  • Walnuts - 1/4 cup
  • Cashews - 1/4 cup
  • Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Curry leaves (optional) - 1 or 2 strands
Idli Podi after grinding


 Preparation
Ready to be served
  1. Keep the dalia aside.
  2. Fry all the dhals on low heat until they turn golden brown. Take care to fry the dhals separately as some dhals like moong dhal gets fried sooner compared to chana dhal.
  3. You can watch for the color and smell of the dhals to know when to stop frying. Allow it to cool.
  4. Fry the nuts and set aside. You can fry the red chillies along with the dhals or separately.
  5. Sesame seeds take very less time to be fried say about 20 seconds and needs very less heat.
  6. Optionally fry the curry leaves and add to the dhals.
  7. You need a bigger mixie/blender to grind or you can grind in batches and finally mix.
  8. Start grinding the dhals first as they take slightly more time to grind. Add salt as per your taste and grind dhals(along with curry leaves if added) coarsely to the  consistency of coarse sooji rava.
  9. Now add the nuts and grind. The nuts tend to release some of their oil. So time to time stir the mix and add some dalia and grind until you get the required consistency.
  10. Healthy and tasty Nutrients Enriched Idli Podi is ready.
Enjoy with Hot Idli(I add olive oil to the Podi)
Nutritional facts

Urad dhal, Chana Dhal and other dhals are rich in protein and help boost the energy level of the kids. Peanuts, Cashews, Almonds and Walnuts have enough of dietary fiber for a meal so it works best against constipation. All the nuts have good source of  iron, vitamins and minerals. Almonds helps in improving the intellectual level of the kids.Sesame seeds are good for the brain health and blood secretion.

Enjoy the Podi with Idli, Dosa or Hot Steamed Rice. Use it for the " Healthy Fried Finger Idlis" recipe or use it in Stir Fry or any other dish to enhance the taste in a healthy way. You can be creative and change the proportion of the ingredients as per your taste. This has been proved to be a hit in my house for the past 2 years. I hope you will enjoy it too.....

You may also me interested in these recipes:

Ragi Sweet Adai or Finger Millet Sweet Patty

Mallida (Steamed Sweet Wheat Slices) For Kids

Healthy Fried Finger Idlis

Comments

  1. This looks like a good option. No more guilt about giving under-nutricious food to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Idli plate with the podi is so inviting! I will try this one.Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I plan to have a post on "How to Make Soft Idli" Idli/Dosa dough preparation in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! Can you please expand a bit more on how you can use in everyday cooking? For example, are there any other uses for it in soups, stir-fries etc? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use it for Stir Fry vegetables, where I finally add the podi before removing the vegetables from stove. I also use it for cluster beans(kothavarangai) curry, brinjal curry, bitter gourd curry, brinjal rice......The key is to use it when you need to take bitter taste out of a dish and also to add some spice to a dish if it is a bland one like stir fry....

      Delete
  5. I have added tooo much of salt into it.
    Please suggest tips to subside salt in idlypodi.
    And also I added vendayam to it , now it turned bitter.
    Please help me resolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Add more roasted peanuts, dalia and urad dal and Chana dal. This should take away the salt and bitterness.
      Let me know if this helped.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much I'm a working mom and this is great help for me and my kid

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids loved this recipe and I felt so thankful that they are getting appropriate amounts of protein and fiber. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment