Masala Oats - Healthy and Tasty Breakfast

Oats is a very good whole grain breakfast item. Plain cooking of oats with water or milk didn't awaken my taste bud. During my summer visit to India I saw the advertisement for masala oats, but my brother-in-law didn't like the taste as it was too creamy with taste enhancers. That's when I came up with my own recipe.......

Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time : 10 min
Serving size: 2

Ingredients
Oats  - 1 cup( The quaker oats that we get in US is little bit
                       big compared to the oats that you get in India,                        so I grind them coarsely for about 15 sec in
                       mixie/blender)
Green beans - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Carrot - 1/2 cup (grated)
Onion - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Salt - for taste
Coriander leaves - 2 or 3 strands(optional)

Note
I prefer to use "steel cut oats". If not, use Quakers Old Fashioned Oats. 

For seasoning
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Fennel seeds - few
Curry leaves -few
Oil - 2 tsp

Preparation
  1. Grind the oats coarsely and set aside.
  2. Chop the onion and beans very finely.
  3. Grate the carrots and set aside.
Cooking
  1. Add oil to a pan and bring the stove to medium heat. When the oil is warm add the mustard seeds.
  2. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the all the other ingredients listed in the seasoning.
  3. Add the onion and fry for about 20 seconds.
  4. Add the vegetables and fry for 20 seconds.
  5. Now add the oats and 2 cups of water. Based on the consistency of the oats you can add or reduce the water by 1/2 cup. I like idli batter consistency so I add water accordingly.
  6. Add salt according to your taste and cook until the oats is well cooked.
  7. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and some  roasted
    nuts(cashew or almonds or walnuts).

Hot and tasty masala oats is ready to eat.

Nutrients
Oats has good dietary fiber and it helps in lowering LDL cholesterol. It helps in reducing your weight as oats keeps your stomach full for a longer time that can make you skip the snack before lunch. I had personally tried it for my brother-in-law and it worked. In a month, he lost 3 Kg. Green beans has protein, iron and vitamins. Carrots not only provides vitamin A for your eyes, but also increases your body complexion and slows down aging. Nuts used for garnishing helps in
increasing HDL cholesterol.


Note: You can also add cooked beans like the black garbanzo for additional protein and taste. I also tried adding cooked horse gram(kollu) and it tastes good and at the same time it helps remove the belly fat.

My family members liked the taste, try it and let me know how your kids and family like it...

You may also be interested in these recipes:

Healthy Cracked Wheat Pongal

Quick Ragi (Finger Millet) Dosa 

Poondu Kozhambu Or Garlic Curry

Comments

  1. great recipie.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe! I was searching for one like this. It came out well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it mandatory to grind the oats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not necessary. The oats I used is not quick oats and takes extra time to cook, so I ground it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment